Monday, October 31, 2011

Validate

When correcting an employee's actions or asking him/her to do something different with procedures, correct briefly and validate the other strengths the employee demonstrates. So if I have an employee that leaves early without telling me, my response to him/her would be something like "Hey Diane I need to speak with you. You left early yesterday and didn't let me know...Helen could've used your help because she was overloaded. I know that is unusual for you as you are always so thorough with everything you do - I admire that". Or it might sound something like this: "John you left early yesterday and didn't tell me - don't let it happen again.... hey I like what you did with Henry today...what a difference!!" I don't use the word "but...." because it just erases anything positive that you just said. I also don't lead with the compliment and follow with the correction because he/she will remember the last thing you said longer than the first thing you said. Correct quickly/briefly.. and then validate strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment